As the father of two young daughters, I don’t always have enough daylight after work to do any gardening. I get home around six and it’s a whirlwind of cooking, eating, playing, and reading before it’s all said and done. By the time my girls are fed, read, and in bed, it’s somewhere around 8:30 and twilight is just giving way to darkness.
So what’s a gardener to do? Two words: Nighttime Gardening. With that in mind, I’d like to share with you my new homemade video series called “Gardening at Night.” The first episode is called “Slugs Love Beer.” Keep in mind that I’m shooting and editing this myself, and I’m still trying to dial it in a bit. So it’s with some nervousness and potential embarrassment that I give you this:
This spring, I’ve been trying out the seed starting mix from Organic Mechanics Potting Soil. I’ve started tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, tomatillos, parsley, basil, corn and lots of annual flowers in this mix. My seedlings are big, strong, and healthy. The mix holds moisture really well so my flats don’t dry out as fast as some other starting mixes. It’s made from coconut fiber, pine bark, rice hulls, worm castings, and an OMRI-listed organic fertilizer.
And here is your chance to try their line of products. One lucky winner will be selected to receive a care package from Organic Mechanics this week. Here’s what you’ll get:
• (1) 8qt Premium Blend (OMRI listed indoor potting soil)
• (1) 16qt Container Blend (all-purpose outdoor potting soil)
• (1) 16qt Seed Starting Blend (OMRI listed potting soil for seed starting indoors)
• (1) 1.0cuft Planting Mix (OMRI listed compost blend soil amendment – great for building raised bed veggie gardens!)
• (5) 1 lb. Worm Castings (premium soil amendment, great for making worm “tea”, directions on our website’s Products page)
• (1) Organic Mechanics T Shirt (Green, L or XL available)
Note: Last month we gave away an electric tiller, but we have not heard back from our potential winner yet (I’m looking at you, Minnesota). Be sure to use your real email address so we can contact you and award the prize. If your name is randomly selected, you will receive an email from me about the middle of next week. Thanks!
For more information about Organic Mechanics, go here: www.organicmechanicsoil.com